Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pic-of-the-Week for December 4, 2012

Hola amigos,

Well....after all that excitement of the car show last week, Ben and I both came down with nasty colds.  He got his first (he claims he got it from his brother Greg), and he generously gave it to me several days later.  As a result, we haven't gone far from the house or take many photos.  That doesn't mean that the excitement hasn't continued!  

You just never know when I might grab a camera to try a different shot.  We bought a couple of solar hummingbird lights last summer, and I love how they glow at night.  They even change colors!  This was just hand held, so it's a little bit blurry, but not too bad.  This little guy will greet you near our kitchen door.


Our English speaking church will soon be meeting in a new building.  The search team found a brand new building available just down the street a ways from the old building.  This one was built to be used for quinciñera parties or weddings.  We'll start meeting there on the 16th of this month, after a few more changes are made (like more electrical plugs in strategic spots!)  There will be a lot of work to do to get it ready, but we have lots of volunteers!  Everyone is excited about it.  This photo is from last Sunday when we did a tour after church.  There is even a pretty nice kitchen area! 
 
 

  Monday should have been a fairly quiet day here at the casa, but you just never know when the excitement will begin!  CFE (the national electrical company here in Mexico) showed up at our driveway on Monday morning to clean the breakers on the electrical pole there. 

 It always amazes me to see this operation, and I had to take a photo of it for you to appreciate it.  I could get really close now that we have that new carport deck (although I didn't!)

Later, another Mexican crew showed up in official looking pickup trucks and vests.  They told me that they were the government citrus team.  They spray citrus trees for free to eliminate diseases.  I said "go for it!"  Then a few minutes later, one of them came to me and showed me a leaf from our lemon tree.  He told me it was diseased, and had Huanglongbing (really!!) disease (they gave me a brochure).  And it needed to be removed.  Oh no!  But what could I say?  I certainly don't want that disease spreading any more than it is (I did read up on it on the internet).  There is no known cure.  The best thing is to remove the entire tree and not replant in that area.  Fortunately, the lime tree right next to it seems to be OK.  And they did pick all the lemons off of the tree for me before they hauled off the limbs.   
 

So now, Ben and I are trying to decide how to best use that areaThat is near where I plant my corn crop, so it may expand into that area!  I did convince the fellow with the ax to leave enough stump for Ben to pull out the roots with his truck & winch.  They were just going to cut it down right to the ground, but I'd think you'd get suckers coming up from that forever.  Best to just pull the whole thing.

Since we haven't really been anywhere this week, I dug back in my files to January 2009 and came across this photo of drying chili peppers.  This is near the little town of Los Planes, north of us about 40 miles.  Need a little heat in your food?  Here you go!  


I have started a new December Picasa Album.  Not much there yet!  

Hasta la proxima semana,
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey  

No comments:

Post a Comment