Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Pic-of-the-Week for May 10, 2016

Hola Amigos!

Another beautiful day in the barrio, AND another family birthday.  Today is Ryan's 38th!  Happy Birthday, Ryan.  Whoa.  How did that happen so fast?  Of course, I'm a year older as well, since my birthday was last week (May the fourth be with you....I've heard that a few times!)  Today is also Mexican Mother's Day, so I get to celebrate that twice!   We were also invited to a Cinco de Mayo party at Rancho Buena Vista by some neighbors, and we enjoyed a lovely evening around the pool with friends, a pig roast and great music.  Our friend Mark and his band Skeleton Key played some rockin' songs.  




Of course we are NOT partying all the time.  I have been spending a huge amount of time with rehab for Zoey.  No, she is still not using her hind legs, but we are trying all the tricks of the trade to strengthen them, including this rack that Ben & I put together for her.  It lets her stand and put some weight on those back legs.  Her tail just keeps wagging!  The best place to use it is outside, where she can piddle freely, instead of inside on my tile floors!  Sure is a good thing they are tile, because it is easy to clean.  We've made weekly visits to the vet in San Jose, and he was actually a bit encouraged yesterday.  We did have a bad spell a couple weeks ago when she was throwing up all day and some other bad symptoms.  We took her back to the vet, and he gave her Vitamin K, Antibiotics, this and that, and prescribed some different dog food (easier to digest), and she is doing much, much better.  Now, if we could just get her to tell us when she needs to go potty, and wait for us to get her outside to do it!  Thank goodness my washing machine is still working well!  I've also sewed together a sling to use to walk her outside.  Her front feet work just fine, thank you very much, and she goes lickety-split, usually trying to go under a truck, or through a bush.  It sure doesn't work for me to follow her too close!!  



We won't be putting the boat in the water this spring... it has some mechanical problems, and Ben is hoping to find the replacement parts down here instead of ordering them out of the US.  Of course nothing is easy about repairing boats, and he has hired a local Mexican, Chuyito (or is that Chuito?) to do it for him.  He hired a fellow with a tractor to pull the boat out of its parking spot near our driveway, then pull the engine to get to the bad parts.  Ben then built a dolly for the engine and he and Ryan (with a smidge of help from me) got it up on the dolly so we can move it around as needed.  



So, this is an ongoing project, waiting for parts to show up!  

Another project I started today is drying bananas.  Our first stalk of the year is ripe, and I probably put about half of the bunch in my dehydrator this morning.  I used every tray in the thing, which is 5 layers.  



I've also started another quilt that I hope to get put together before we leave in June.  I'll then take it to my friend, June, in Brownsville, and she'll quilt it for me, and I'll have a summer project to work on putting on the binding.  It's not quite half done, as I'll do 12 squares (or 12 pinwheels).  



The last "current" project we're hiring done!  Mario is here today putting tile around our laundry tub and washing machine.  It was on Ben's list of things to do, but I think it's pretty cool that he's willing to hire someone to do it instead!  A lot less frustration on his part!  (Pictures later!)  We even scrubbed our laundry tub when we took it out this morning so Mario could put in the tile, and it cleaned up quite nicely.  

We have a month left here this spring until we migrate north for the summer.  We'll be leaving early enough to spend some time in late June with our daughter Rebecca and her family at the Oregon Coast.  Sure hope we get some decent weather for that!  (Or that the house they're renting is real big for active kids!)  We're hoping to get our projects completed and get Zoey a bit more ambulatory (other than her skootching, which she can do remarkably quickly!) before we head out.  

I've started a 2016 May Picasa album.  

Hasta la proxima vez,
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey


No comments:

Post a Comment