Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pic-of-the-Week for November 13, 2012

Hola Amigos,

Another week gone, and the weather is turning more "winter-like" all the time.  We've had several cloudy days and several very windy days.  We're closing windows, turning the fans down, and wearing some warmer clothes (t-shirts instead of tank tops!)  I've even worn a light sweater the past few evenings when we ate out at open air restaurants!  

 Speaking of eating out, our friend Leo went out fishing on one of those windy days, and caught some nice Dorado.  He invited us to one of the local restaurants, where they'll cook the fish you bring in to your specifications.  Leo brought in 15 pounds for the 9 of us!  When they brought it out, we were surprised at how it had shrunk.  They did admit that they had trimmed it to remove the bloody parts, but Leo (who is a chef at his restaurant in Florence, Oregon) had already trimmed it.  Anyhow, we enjoyed it, and as you can see by the photos, we didn't leave much!  In fact, we ate the whole thing. 
 




<---------Dorado Empanada












Dorado al mojo de ajo, what's left of it!        ------->








Ben finally gave me a driving lesson in the Model A pickup the other day.  I didn't grind the gears too much, but he was grinding his teeth some of the time, I'm sure!  He said a couple times that my jerky driving would have thrown the princess right out of the back of the truck.  I didn't think it was THAT bad, but I do need a few more times to practice so I can get those gear changes nice and smooth.  The dang parade route has a bunch of topes (big speed bumps) so that always adds interest!  We have one more week until November 20, so we'll see!  (We need to be to the parade early in the morning, so count on this letter being late next week, AFTER the parade.)

Some of you ask us what we do for entertainment here, especially since we don't have a TV.  Well...we have quite a collection of geckos in our house...can't keep 'em out.  They do keep our bug population down inside the house.  A little gecko came out from behind our clock one day last week after spotting a little moth.  I took several photos of him waiting and calculating, but missed the quick kill!  

When we absolutely have to watch TV (an Oregon or Oregon State football game, for example) we go over to our friends Ellis and Marsha's house.  I get a kick out of their dog, Roger, who bellies up to the bar on their veranda and watches the beach, while we watch the game. Ellis said the dog used to jump up there to sit, but he fell off on the other side (which is quite a drop) several times, so they trained him to do this pose instead!   He can stand there for a long time.  

I showed you a photo of my old plant with new flowers last week.  This week, you get to see my new flowers with butterfly added.  Butterflies really like this plant, and they flittered around and landed often enough that I got a few good photos.



Don't you just love those little bloom buds?  Perfect little round balls that burst into beautiful bloom!  This butterfly likes them, too!  

Ben went shopping for me yesterday in La Paz.  My old keyboard had some problems...maybe serious, and he'd taken it into a repair man last week.  Ben had been shopping around for a new piano last week, and we decided this week that I NEED to have a keyboard in my house, so he bought me this one...


It is a Yamaha, somewhat similar to my old one, but with a lot more bells and whistles.  Fortunately, that's the owner manual there on the music holder, so I'll be able to figure it all out...eventually.  I'm really hoping that I can record music onto my PC.  There is a USB connection there on the right, and a CD to load on my computer, so it's looking very possible!  Poco a poco! (Little by little).  Then, he called the piano repair man as he was heading out of town, and the fellow said the old piano was repaired and works just fine.  So now I have TWO pianos.  I am truly blessed!  (Ben has two Model-A's, doesn't he?)  We actually have a place to use my old piano, so everything works out just fine.

More photos are posted in our November 2012 Picasa album.  I have made the album public, thanks to my friend Jill, who wanted to look at them last week but found she couldn't get to them.   New photos are at the end. 

Sam's foot is healing nicely.  The vet said yesterday that it looked just fine.  

Hasta la proxima semana,
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment