Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pic-of-the-Week for June 18, 2013

Hola, Amigos!

This may be the last "Pic" for the season, since we plan on leaving home next Tuesday for our three month "vacation from Paradise".  If anything noteworthy happens in this next week, I might send something out Monday night.  Otherwise, you'll just have to wait for our summer correspondent to get around to it!  We will be in the Salem area around July 5th after picking up our trailer in Tygh Valley and visiting family in the Bend area.  We hope to see many of you while we're in the area, but we're also very excited that our daughter Rebecca and her family will be visiting in Oregon then, too!  Hooray!  They are leaving Jordan on the 20th, this Thursday, and will be in the Chicago area before flying to the west coast.  I'm anxious to get my hands on my grandsons!!  


On the news front here in Baja, a few months ago, Ben and our friend Janet discovered that they share the same birthday, July 12th!  They decided right then and there to celebrate their birthday a month early, since we are in Oregon by then.  We got out the Rib Eye Steaks, Tony heated up the barbecue, I baked a chocolate cake, and Janet cooked some delicious corn on the cob.    So, on June 12th last week, we had a wonderful "unbirthday" celebration for them on Tony and Janet's patio. 

 (I think we forgot to sing!  Oh no!!  But let me tell you, the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can makes a cake that is to die for!  And the frosting is great, too.  Extremely chocolate, moist and delicious!  WOW!)

  
When I was reviewing my photo files this week, I discovered that evidently, not much else happened!  Well...I did get sick on Friday afternoon, and on Saturday I was in bed all day, very rare for me this year!  I had a stomach upset, and decided bed was the best place to be!  I did lose a few pounds in the process, so maybe that's a good thing.  I was well enough to go play the piano at church on Sunday morning, but took the rest of Sunday off!  

Anyhow, I traipsed outside this morning with my trusty camera and in my bare feet and took a few photos around the yard.   We have 4 banana trees with unripened bunches.  I think Ryan (who will be house-sitting for us this summer) will be able to survive on the abundance of bananas...if they ever do finally ripen! 


I imagine that it is a good possibility a few more of the trees will blossom and produce fruit this summer.  Maybe there will be some for us when we get back in the fall!   

There are more photos from around the yard in our June 2013 Picasa album.

Lots of flowers are blooming around the house, and it is very pleasantly fragrant.  Plumeria, the Sobre la Montana (which smells like gardenia), the Neem tree is blooming... The birds are waking up early and are very vocal, especially the Cardinals.  Their song isn't very pretty, but is very distinct!  They like to get up in the highest spot they can find and sing and sing! 

All the fishing news was last week.  Ben and Ryan and Janet took the boat out one more time yesterday, but didn't get a nibble.  In fact, after they got in, Ben decided to go ahead and pull the boat so he can get everything put away and tied down for the season.  I'd say we had a very successful fishing year, with catches 2 out of 3 trips! 

We'll be busy the rest of this week getting things packed and ready to go.  It's really nice that we don't have to "clean out the freezer" while Ryan is here for the summer.  Or put the shutters on all the windows.  That was a BIG job.  Hopefully, Ryan won't have to do it this summer either, but there is always a chance.  

Hasta luego (don't know when!)

Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey



No comments:

Post a Comment