Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Pic-of-the-Week for January 13, 2015

Hola Amigos,

Well, the results of yesterday's big game weren't as satisfying as the Rose Bowl on New Year's day.  Oregon was outplayed by Ohio, and it just wasn't to be a win for the Ducks.  We again met at Ellis' home for a potluck, and had a great crowd, and great food.  I'm sitting here writing this eating some leftover carrot cake for breakfast and drinking a cup of my Good Earth tea!  

I had fun making the cake; it is a recipe I got years ago from my friend Wilma Ausland in Eugene.  Everything she made was delicious, so I am happy to still have this recipe!  (Let me know if you want a copy.  I still have her hand-written index card!)  

Ben, who is not the Duck fan like Ryan and me spent yesterday and last night in La Paz again; this time because of issues with our 2006 truck.  It was running rough, so he took it into the diesel mechanic he's used other times, and hopefully, the only problem is tired batteries.  Evidently they didn't have enough power to run the truck computer properly, so things were not happening correctly.  He'll find out this morning, since he got new batteries yesterday, but too late in the day for the mechanic to check it out.  That would be nice if that's the only problem!!  We've been hitting our ATM machine here in town for cash to build up a supply, since the mechanic shop deals only in cash, not credit cards.  Sigh....

I told you last week about our windy, cool weather.  Well...it changed for the better last Tuesday!  It has been calm and warm and just wonderful weather, with a few fluffy clouds floating by.  The Lord of the Wind Showdown starts here this Thursday, and we did get a bit of afternoon wind yesterday.  The forecast shows low winds, but I'm sure a lot of folks are praying for more wind!!  (Crazy people!)  But in the meantime, we're enjoying some great January weather.  I don't get out every day for a beach walk with Sam and Zoey, but this was just about a perfect day!  Other than the fact that Sam wimped out early, and Zoey tends to bark when I'm walking within 15 feet of the edge of the water!  

  
With this nice weather, I've had opportunities to take more bird pictures.  I caught this little Costa Hummingbird out our family room window the other day.  He looks like he was a bit cold, he's so fluffed up!   He's roosting here on our Bougainvillea bush.  Notice the thorns!  You've got to be careful where you sit on those things!  



My friend Pat invited me to go with her to Santiago yesterday to pay her water bills, and to have lunch at the Palomar restaurant right down the street from the Water Company.  She has trouble getting her water bills delivered to her casa, so took the last one she had to make payment.  The clerk in the window said, and pointed out on the bill the word "vencido" in the payment date column.  OK...what does that mean?  I couldn't remember the word, and Pat didn't have a dictionary in her car, so we shrugged our shoulders and waited.  The clerk went in the back room and came back with a new bill, and a little bigger amount due.  Pat paid her bills (she had 2) and was good to go.  I had taken my bill, and last summer's pre-payment receipt, and told her I hadn't received any bills at my casa since last June.  Do we owe anything?  Well...she had to go in the back room for quite a while at this request, as the line behind me got longer and longer!  She finally came back and said I owed $838 pesos after all the adjustments.  That cleaned me out exactly, other than a few little peso coins!  I told her I needed to have the bills delivered to my house, and she told me "proximo mes" (next month).  Right.... Anyhow, lunch at Palomar was delicious.  They don't maintain the grounds like they used to, but the food is still very good.  By the way, I looked up vencido, and it means defeated, or beaten.  OK; explain that to me, my Spanish speaking amigos!! 

Here are a few things I saw on the grounds at Palomar.

 A little adobe oven.  Not sure if they use it for baking or not. 
 Good looking oranges.

I did get a 2015 January Picasa album started and there are a few more photos in there.  

Ryan has some friends coming to visit this week, but all our "promised" guests have cancelled out so far this year.  There is still a lot of time to come see us this winter and spring...we'd love to have you visit and show you how to relax in Baja style!  

Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment