Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Pic-of-the-Week for February 3, 2015

Hola Amigos!  

It's a beautiful day here in Baja this February morning.  I guess the groundhog would see his shadow here, whatever that means!  I'm just enjoying the bright sunshine!!  And look!  My green bean crop is up, and I got it strung yesterday (a skill I've never lost, evidently!)  I'm looking forward to lots of yummy beans in another month. 



And for your flower pic of the week, my Cattleya orchid is blooming!  Yeay!  I really need to repot it, but this close up of the blooms makes it look pretty impressive!


Today is also our grandson David's 5th birthday.  Wow.  I remember when I traveled solo from Baja to Jordan to be with our daughter Rebecca and her husband Tim to help with the new baby and entertain all the guests (making tea and serving cookies and baklava) who came to visit.   Last week was also our granddaughter Eleanor's 1st birthday, and I remember that frigid visit to Chicago very well!  They grow up so fast!!  She is almost walking.  Rebecca is very good to send photos of the kids to us, and here's one that was on Eleanor's birthday, I think.  (Sorry, Aaron is missing from this one.) 

We had a very nice time celebrating our anniversary in Cabo San Lucas last Tuesday.  We went out for dinner to a fancy restaurant (Pitahayas) and enjoyed the view, the food, and each other!  


This is a plate of sashimi that they served us first.  Very nice presentation throughout the meal, and hovering waiters to see to our every need.  












One morning last week we were surprised to awake and see FIVE shrimp boats out in the bay in front of our house.  We found out later they were from Sinaloa (a state on the mainland) and were here re-supplying and getting out of the wind for a while.  



Ryan pointed out all the birds on the rigging of this boat, so I zoomed in and got a good close up shot of them.  Not sure what they are, but they might be Frigate birds, which we normally don't see roosting....just floating around up above our house, dropping white bombs with regularity!!!  (Ick!  Don't hang out laundry on days you see Frigates above!) 

We have had some nice sunny days, and some windy days, and we had a downpour the other day that really tested our new replacement gargoyles! You might notice that our sidewalk  was a river there beyond the tile! I imagine the weeds will really start sprouting now!

We have also been having some work done on the roof of our carport.  We've hired Rick and Alfredo again to put on the water-proofing and cool deck, and while they're here, they're repairing some cracks in our house ceiling and replacing the cool deck there.  Hopefully, next major rainstorm I won't have to worry about water dripping on my piano!!  









On Sunday, we took another quick trip to Cabo San Lucas to have lunch with my Uncle David and Aunt Evelyn from Harrisburg, and friends from Bend, Mike and Ruth, who happened to be traveling on the same cruise ship!  David is the last surviving brother of 6, and my Dad was the oldest.  Believe it or not, these two are in their 80's and are still very active.  




Mike and Ruth were enjoying their trip very much, and were the inspiration for us to go meet them in Cabo.  (We can't get Mike to fly down here....he thinks we have too many bandidos!)  

I've started a February 2015 Picasa album, and I have made it public so you can look at it, too!  

Hasta la proxima semana,
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey

PS. Happy Birthday (tomorrow) to my brother Rich!  I won't mention how old you are.  *grins*  

No comments:

Post a Comment