Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Pic-of-the-Week for March 15, 2016

Hola Amigos,

"Beware, the Ides of March".  Just sayin', since today is the 15th of March, after all.  Wishing the best for you all as you enjoy the day!

We said "adios" this morning to our last company of the year; Ben's brother Greg and his wife Cherlene and their baby girl Georgina.  They had a nice time here, in spite of some strange weather and a lack of whales when they went whale watching.  They did get to our beach and had a nice time using one of the few kids' toys we have here, a sand castle tool kit, and built some impressive sand castles.  They also did the requisite tourist shopping in Los Barriles, so the economy is thriving!  


We did the normal "fun" stuff; eating out a lot and going places and doing things.  I let Ben take them to San Carlos for whale watching, as I had some previous commitments here.  

Now we're getting ready for our church's Easter Sunrise service on March 27th. That always means lots of preparation and a very early wake-up alarm, since the service will start at 5:30am.  Ben & Ryan need to get the sound system set up and working before then....on the beach... in the dark!  I'll let you know how it went when we send out our next letter!  

Our garden is growing well; I did have some wind damage to the green beans when we had a very strong wind from the northwest (the bean row is on the west side of the house).  It really whipped the beans and burned the leaves, but they are starting to bloom, and we'll have some beans before too long.


Our current method of using bags of Miracle Grow potting mix to plant our lettuce and cucumbers in is going well.  The cucumbers really like it, and I've got a bunch setting on.  And when we're done growing things, I'll add the bags of soil to my planting beds.  




My Cattleya orchid, which I've just about given up on several times, continues to bloom for me.  Three buds this time!  The plant doesn't look so hot, but the flowers are beautiful.  So I guess I'll keep fertilizing and watering it, and otherwise I'll ignore the silly thing!  (It is outdoor all year, next to my Cymbidium orchids, which are also doing quite well out-of-doors). 

For those of you who hadn't heard, I made and sent a baby quilt to my friend in Guadalajara for her new baby.  And, it FINALLY got there.  We saw in the news that the government quit the requirement to have Aduana (customs) value the packages before they are sent from Baja to the mainland... about 2 or 3 days after the quilt was sent.  And then, once it got over to Guadalajara, the delivery company kept giving excuses for not delivering (bad address, no one home, etc.)  When she got it, she graciously took a picture of her baby on it and posted it on Facebook for me.  I love it!  This is why I make them.  Isn't he sweet?


Okay....I said that Greg and Cherlene and Georgie were our last company for the year, but if you get the urge to come visit, just let us know.  We'll be here until mid-June, and the weather is getting better all the time.  The Purkey casa is OPEN! 

We've got a March 2016 Picasa album you are welcome to review.

Hasta la proxima vez,
Tus amigos de Baja
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Zoey & Sam (whose pointy nose has been in the dirt somewhere) 





No comments:

Post a Comment