Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Pic-of-the-Week for May 9, 2018

Hola Amigos,

I think this is becoming a habit.... it's been almost a month again since my last post, and I really haven't been that busy.  Oh well.  I at least have a few pictures and things to report.  

The burros are happy that we are harvesting our corn.  They get to eat the stalk and any other left-overs.  Even baby was chewing on a leaf the other day!  



We get this part of it!  We had a pretty good crop, but it wasn't as sweet as I'd hoped.  That may be due to lack of water or good fertilizer, or just the variety of corn.  But it was fun to have and share with friends.  

Zoey and I are still doing daily walks (except Sunday, when I don't have time in the early morning).  I love making discoveries either in the desert, or the arroyo, or on the beach.  It seems like there is always something blooming!  This is the bloom from a Pitaya Agria, which produces a very tasty fruit.  The indigenous Indian population here staved off hunger by eating this fruit, and it's more popular cousin, Pitaya Dulce.  

The next picture is a Cardon cactus in bloom.  The tennis ball sized fruit are popular with lots of birds and iguanas, and animals who live on the ground when the fruits drop.  


I spotted this blooming plant close to the beach.  It is actually a reed of some kind.  I really liked the interconnecting star shape blooms and the buds waiting to bloom at the bottom.  


This is the bloom from a Palo de Arco, very common here in Baja.  The long straight sticks from this tree are used for many things; shade covers, fences, decorative arches (it bends easily).  This was growing in the arroyo.  

On the beach, I pick up beach glass, pretty rocks, and most of the garbage I see.  I usually have a plastic bag with me to pick up plastic bottles, bottle caps, old fishing line, etc.  Most people are good about picking up after themselves, but there is often evidence of parties on the beach with empty beer cans strewn everywhere, and sometimes the plastic bag they brought the goodies down to the beach is available!  I used one of those to pick up the "dead soldiers" from someone's party, and the next weekend, there was another batch of empties in the same (evidently popular) spot!  Grrrr!   The other day I picked up a Pacifico beer bottle, and didn't realize until I got home that it had tar all over it.  I didn't have a plastic bag that day, so just stuck it in my little fanny pack.  Was that ever a mistake!  Sometimes, though, I come across interesting things like this little star fish!


We have company coming later today, and they will be here until Ryan and Charlotte arrive next week, so we will be busy, busy!  The weather has heated up for May, and everyone is saying how hot it is already for early in the season.  It may portend a hotter summer.... or it may just stay like this the rest of the summer.  Hard to say, but our bedroom AC is very nice at night!  

Ben is making weekly trips to La Paz to check on our 1930 Model A Roadster.  It's coming along nicely, and they are doing great work.  They promise that it will be done by the end of May.  Then Ben has a bunch of work to do in June to get it ready for the show in Reno the end of June!  
















I managed to survive another year, and we went to San Jose del Cabo with friends to celebrate my birthday on May 4.  Had a lovely relaxing day and a delicious dinner.  It was low key and perfect!  


I have started a 2018 May photo album, so you can check that out if you'd like.  

Hasta la proxima vez,
Tus amigos en Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Sam & Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment