Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Pic-of-the-Week for July 3, 2018

Hola Amigos!

Happy 4th of July and Independence Day to you!  Tell me, is it a 5 day weekend, taking off Monday and Tuesday, or is it a 5 day weekend, taking of Thursday and Friday?  


Photo from my morning walk at low tide: Rancho Buena Vista

I (Harriet) will be coming to Oregon July 5th, so I'll miss the parades and fireworks this year.  Yes, my list of things to take and bring back is made, bags are getting packed, and "to do" lists are getting ready to be posted for the gang remaining here.  I will be "almost" footloose and fancy-free.  No husband, no dogs, and not too many responsibilities.  I will be house and dog sitting for my in-laws where I'm staying for a few days, but Duke is an easy guy to take care of.  I hope he likes walks!  

I am ready to get out of town... it is getting plenty HOT!  This is the longest we've stayed since the summer we built the house (2002).  I checked the temperatures in Bend for this week, and lows are in the 40's, compared to lows in the high 70's or low 80's here!  

Ben will be busy, busy as soon as he gets the Model A Roadster back from the body shop in La Paz.  He keeps saying "2 more weeks", so we'll see.  They are making great progress; unfortunately, it was in worse shape than anticipated as far as rust was concerned.
  
Here the body is upside down as they work on sanding the bottom.  The man in the blue shirt is the owner of the body shop; the man next to him speaks English and is our interpreter (he works at this shop).  The older man behind Ben was hired specifically to work on the Model A, as he has lots of Model A experience!  They have since hired one more man to work exclusively on it, so it should get done even faster!  I hope to see pictures with the final coat of paint on it very soon!  

I mentioned the dump fire and the noxious smoke in my last letter.  Ryan took matters in hand and contacted the proper authorities, developed a web site and we have seen a caterpillar at the dump to put out the fires!  Good job, Ryan!  There are still a few residual fires, but we're hoping they're out soon.  Here is a link to Ryan's web site.  Check it out!  Los Barriles Dump 

My morning walks with Zoey are still a highlight of my day.  After the rain so many things are blooming in the desert, especially the cactus.  Here are a few things I've seen:


 This shrub is blooming like crazy everywhere right now.  I love the color of the flowers.  




This last picture is an example of the Pitahaya bloom, and the fruit!  A small bird flew away as I was snapping the photo.  I think it had been eating the fruit, since it's pretty "holey"!  






I've finished another year of one-student piano lessons.   When Paloma likes a song, she excels!  We work hard at finding songs she likes!!  This was her 3rd year of lessons, and at 13, in spite of all her other interests, she still wants to do piano lessons!  Good for her!  It's my pleasure to teach her. 



Charlotte and Ryan have been to the baby doctor several times, and brought back some cute ultrasound pictures the other day.  I'm going to make you wait until we have the real baby in hand before I start sending pictures (so be prepared!  I'm a Grandma, after all!!)  Baby and Mama are doing well, and they still have the same anticipated due date of late July.  Yes, I will be back!  

I was rewarded for my beach cleaning diligence this morning.  As I was picking up empty beer cans, plastic bags and cups, and drink holder rings, I came across one can of beer they'd missed!  Wow.  Too bad I don't like beer!  I ended up with two plastic bags of trash and a gallon plastic jug!  I think they're going to miss me when I'm gone for a couple weeks....the beach could get messy!  














My other reward is beach glass.  This is what I've picked up since I started my daily walks in early January this year.  I just moved it to a gallon jar, because I'd filled up a quart jar and a 1/2 quart jar.  Don't ask me what I'm going to do with it... other than line it up on a shelf with the rest of my collection! 






I have created a July 2018 album with some more photos in it.  



























Not sure when we'll get the next issue out.  Will Ben write it?  Will I?  Who will have time?   Until then.....

Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan & Charlotte, Sam & Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment