Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pic-of-the-Week for December 30, 2014

Hola Amigos,

Here I am writing the final Pic-of-the-Week for 2014.  This year has certainly gone by quickly.  And here in Baja, as in other parts of the northern hemisphere, winter has begun in earnest.  The wind has been blowing like crazy (wind surfers and kite boarders are loving it), which makes the temperatures drop (wind chill, ya know?).  This morning, the low was 52.9F;  right now at 7:30 it is 55.2F. (Indoor temps are usually right at 70).  We hope it will warm up to the 70's today, which it has been doing.  In the mean time, Ben started up our trusty propane stove, and our dogs are appreciating it very much.  

Now, for those of you who are scoffing at our "high" low temps, just think about living in a typical Mexican house... non-insulated concrete block, with no source of heat except a light bulb or two and the propane cook range.  This is VERY cold for many Mexicans.  So while you will see tourists on the street in their t-shirts and shorts, most local Mexicans are bundled up in sweatshirts and long pants.  



I took the photo of the action on the water so you can get an idea of how busy it can be in from of Los Barriles on a windy winter day.  (Notice the palm trees blowing!)  At least it is usually sunny!  (I apologize for my dirty lens on my little camera.)
 


We had a lovely Christmas and I even got out the good china!  I think at last count there were 10 here for dinner (plus 2 more for dessert).  We kept getting cancellations, and then inviting others, but it worked out fine. I realized at the end of the evening that I hadn't taken pictures, except for a couple with my phone.   We did eat well...Ben cooked another turkey in the smoker and we had all the required ingredients to go with a turkey dinner; potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry relish, vegetables, fresh rolls and APPLE PIE and RUM CAKE!!  Yum!  

We (at least Ryan and I) are looking forward to the University of Oregon game vs. Florida in the Rose Bowl this Thursday.  We'll be going to our friend Ellis' home to watch, along with many of the other Duck fans in the area.  We expect the Ducks to do very well (sorry Florida fans).    






Ben finished another of "my" projects, and now he can start working on some of "his" projects.  He made this quilt rack from a picture I found on the internet, and modified it with the angled side pieces so that you could see the quilts in the back.   It is now moved into our bedroom and holding three quilts that have been in storage for quite a while.  



The front quilt was made by my mother, and each square was embroidered by her and my Grandma Malpass, who I remember always having something to embroider!  The middle quilt was made by my Grandma Cox, and is a Wedding Ring quilt.  It was probably made in the 30's or 40's, and is pretty fragile.  The one is back is the first large quilt I ever made and is the Log Cabin pattern.  Since I wasn't real careful in my seam sewing, this one has a lot of loose edges, and I have no idea how to repair it, so I'll just hang it here!  I will most likely use this to display new quilts I make, too.  Thank you Ben, for the lovely addition to our bedroom furniture (all of which he has made).  

Rebecca often messages me from her phone in the Middle East to mine here in Mexico.  And, she knows how to send instant photos that she takes with her phone (I figured out how to do it to, finally).  She sent me this one the other day of Eleanor, and I just love that smile!!  I appreciate chatting with them (also on Skype), and listening to David repeat his alphabet in English, then in Arabic!  (I told him I need a translator).  Aaron just turned 3 at the beginning of the month, and has the sweetest smile!  They do keep their Mom and Dad hoppin'!  

To keep us hopping here, the local burros show up regularly for their gumdrop treats.  They were here yesterday, braying at the gate until Ryan showed up with the goodies.  There were a couple new ones here yesterday; a black one and another dark one.  She reminded me of the black baby we had several years ago who was a cross between his mama burro and a dark horse.  She didn't know how to get in line for the gumdrops, and besides, the local burro kept kicking at her to keep her away from "HIS" treats!

I've added a few final photos to our 2014 December album.  Just think, I can start a new year's album in a few days!  

Feliz año nuevo a todos nuestros amigos!

Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey 

No comments:

Post a Comment