Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pic-of-the-Week for April 8, 2014

Hola Amigos,



We had a busy week with our guest Lydia, all the way from Austria.  She went touring around the countryside; north, south, and east.  She went to a style show and bought some really neat new clothes, she went to an all you can eat ribs and chicken dinner and concert, she shopped for souvenirs, she toured deserted beaches and mountainside villages.  She had a great time here (she said) except for the sunburn she got when she went kayaking.  YES, she used sunscreen, but with an hour on the water around noon, and possibly some of it washing off as she waded in the water to the kayak, it wasn't as strong as it could be.  Anyhow, I took her to the doctor, and even that visit was enjoyable.  Very short wait, prescriptions written and filled, very reasonable prices, and a good looking doctor!  She was happy!


 As you can see from the photo below, we had quite a regatta!  Good thing Jim and Pat have 3 kayaks so we could borrow one!  And I have to admit that I got a sunburn on my back (I'm in the green kayak on the left.)  I was so anxious to get into my kayak that I forgot to have Ben put sunscreen on my back.  I had done my legs and arms...that back is tough to reach!) 

Jim even mounted a sail on his Hobie Cat.  He said it had been in the package it arrived in for about 5 years.  In spite of light winds, he was able to get it to work and move his kayak pretty well.  

Sam and Zoey appreciated their time on the beach, but Zoey hates it when I am in the water.  She barks and barks and barks and we can't get her to shut up!  Argh!  She's just fine when I'm sitting on the beach with her in the shade!  Sam is very happy to wade in the water, but not Zoey.  Both Ben and I carried her out to about 1 foot deep water (which is over these guys' heads) and let her swim to shore.  She didn't like that much, either!!!  She can swim just fine...she just hates water!  


Lydia left yesterday, and as of 7am our time, is waiting in London for her flight to Austria.  Ugh.  Reminds me of some long trips I've taken like that.  She does love to travel, though!  

One of the things we like to do is share our great seafood with our guests, either at home, or in some of the restaurants around town.  Since Lydia said she didn't like shrimp or scallops or other seafood, we thought we were a bit hampered.  Then we found out the she didn't "not like it", she just didn't know what she was missing!  I gave her a bite of my coconut shrimp one night, and she decided that's what she'd order next visit.  She also enjoyed our salt water fish, as opposed to the fresh water fish she normally eats at home.  Anyhow, we all ate very well!  We even invited friends to join us in the banquet!  This is a photo of very satisfied diners after another great meal at El Barrilito! 

 
So, on the home front, the garden is doing well.  My beans are going crazy putting on new blooms (I guess it pays to water them deep and often!) so I'll be picking beans and processing (and eating) beans for the next several weeks.  Our Shaving Brush tree is about done blooming, but it did have flowers while Lydia was here so she got to enjoy it, too.  


Our calendar is pretty empty until our next guest arrives in May.  I guess Ben will start working on his boat (again) and think about putting it in eventually.  Our departure date seems to be creeping up, so I'm not sure how long the boat will be in (if it gets put in).  If he doesn't get busy fishing, he might have to work on the "honey-do" list that he created for himself this last fall! 

I have started an April 2014 Picasa album.  I've even got captions on most of the photos. 

Ryan is still busy in San Diego, so until next week, it's just 
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Sam & Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment