Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pic-of-the-Week for May 20, 2014

Hola Amigos,

This is it....the last "official" Pic-of-the-Week from Baja this spring.  We are packing up and leaving this Saturday.  Yes, it is a month earlier than usual, but Ben is determined to get his 1928 Woody up there and have the engine gone over by a top notch Model A mechanic in Bend.  The paint has been repaired and the whole thing polished (thank you Caliman), the upholstery was reworked so all the seat seams in all three rows go the same direction, the car trailer was painted, and we now have the trailer title (believe it or not, a permanent California license registered to an owner in Washington!)  Oh...and yesterday Ben managed, after many phone calls, to get car insurance on the Woody while it is in the US.  Evidently, if a "collector" car is "garaged" in Mexico, you can't get insurance on it in the US.  Doesn't matter that we have Mexican insurance on the thing.  Ryan kept telling him "you're giving them too much information, Dad!"  So, he finally went online and added a car to our existing US policy.  Worked like a charm.  Geesh! Here it is in our driveway, all ready to go on a fun trip to La Paz last week.  (Ben might even haul Mexican gas up for it because it doesn't have ethanol ... that ethanol can really mess up Model A engines!)  This is how our little collector car will make it's way to Oregon.

Ben and our friend Janet managed to get their birthday celebration done, 2 months early, with a fish dinner at Barrilitos.  Tony and his friend Dennis caught a nice size Dorado, and took it to Francisco to cook 3 or 4 different ways.  The waitress Claudia had the table decorated for us with confetti and flowers and it was a very festive occasion!  They even brought out hats for them to wear when we sang Happy Birthday.  




Ben and John H went on their Baja fly trip, but spent all 3 days in one location, San Francisquito, a very, very remote section of Baja, then ended up coming home a day early.  I guess they missed me (or comfortable beds!)  I'm always amazed to hear that the place is still standing; the termites have been winning over the past 20 years or so, as well as the elements; earthquakes and hurricanes!  They got a lot of hiking done, and ate a lot of fish! 
 


 
Ben's brother John enjoyed his "low-key" vacation here, although he did get some excitement kayaking on a day when the waves were pretty high.  He did manage to stay upright...the kayak is really quite stable.






While Ben was gone playing, I stayed home and made sure everything got done that needed doing, including spraying inside the house for mosquitos.  The spray guy came Friday morning and sprayed inside the garage, upstairs, and in the house.  It was completely foggy until I opened the doors 4 hours later!  And the mosquitoes are gone!  Why didn't we do this 8 months ago???  This is what it looked like outside of the house after he was done.  Needless to say, the dogs and I evacuated the grounds for several hours!



My computer is still non-working.  We've packed it up and are taking it with us back to our computer fix-it guru in Oregon, George.  I tried to take the DVD drive back to the store in La Paz that installed it, but they wouldn't give me my money back without reviewing the problem while it was installed in the computer.  I can understand that reasoning, but it sure is frustrating when it didn't work from the moment I got it home from the shop, and I've already had it in the shop here in Los Barrilles several times (and La Paz is 1 1/2 hours away, and the diagnosis could take several days).  Hopefully, it hasn't been messed up too much and George will either be able to repair it, or if not, get my data to put on a new computer. I am MISSING my files!! 

I did find that we had created Pic-of-the-week mailing lists in native Google one time several years ago.  I've been maintaining them in my MS Outlook on my computer, and I know I have missed people for the last several weeks.  No one has complained about missing POTW, so I'm starting to get curious about who reads this!!  That is just one of many of the computer files I'm missing right now.  Another important one is my list of things to pack, and things to do to prepare the house and garden for summer. Thankfully, we're not in a big rush and will probably get everything done that needs doing before Saturday morning.  Thank goodness Ryan is staying here this summer to house sit for us, so we don't have to put the shutters up and move all the outdoor furniture in.  This is going to be an El Nino year, and we will most likely have a hurricane or two pass by.  Besides that, they paved the road between the arroyos!  The last time they did that...we had a couple hurricanes and washed the road out!  

Our schedule this summer; we will be spending most of June and the first part of July in the Bend area while the Model A is being worked on.  We'll be making quick trips to the valley for computer repair or any other necessary visits.  In mid-July, we'll be attending the Model A Ford Club of America's National meet in Puyallup, Washington.  The next week we'll be in Salem visiting all my doctors (I hope they'll all appreciate that I have lost weight this year).  After that, we will be spending time with our daughter and her family.  Gotta get my grandkid hugs in before they head to the other side of the world again! (Eleanor is looking pretty serious in this photo, but I have seen her smile!) 



I am going to add some more photos to our 2014 May Picasa album, but haven't done it yet.  Be patient with me!  I'm using a borrowed computer, but I've got some really good party pictures to add!  


I will leave you with a Baja sunset from our veranda.  Next issue of Pic-of-the-Week is up to Ben; he gets to write them in the summer.  **Big Grins**

Hasta la proxima vez...no se cuando...
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey, who are both watching the suitcases being packed with great anticipation.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment