Monday, February 10, 2014

Pic-of-the-Week for February 11,2014

Hola Amigos,

Did you know that it has not been above freezing since I got here a week ago?  And the extended forecast show that maybe by next Monday the daytime high might be above freezing?  I know many of you were in the same boat  (or sled) last week, and don't feel a bit sorry for me... so I guess I had better not cry any more, but I sure will be happy to get back to temps above 70 during the day!!!  Of course, the benefits of being here are those great moments with the grandkids.  Granted, there are a few trying moments (with toddlers aged 2 and 4!), but we'll probably all survive my visit!!  I get to hold Eleanor and had to take a photo of her the other day when she was in my lap, and the sun was shining on her little head.  What do you think of this hair?

This grandma thinks it is pretty special!

I'm pretty good at multi-tasking.... crocheting a baby blanket (keeping the baby warm with it) and holding the baby in my lap!

Aaron and David are both very intelligent (and good looking) boys, and they certainly keep their parents busy with all their questions and requests and busyness.  David can spend hours playing with any kind of ABC's, and Aaron likes to watch train videos and read books (with help, of course).  This was a quiet moment when they were watching a video down in the basement.

And here, David was using his Mom's camera to take photo of the baby, then me!


And here, Aaron is using the sofa as a mountain to climb!

Of course, everything is being done indoors, since the outside temps are extremely low, especially on the clear, sunny days.  The older neighbor kids don't seem to mind, and usually are out for at least 1/2 hour in the afternoons playing in the snow.  I even saw a teenage  boy  wearing only jeans and a t-shirt shoveling snow the other day!  Good grief!  As I write this as 9:30, the temp is 4 degrees F.

We have made a few trips out and about, one morning over to Tim's parent's home so I could  use Dorthy's sewing machine to work on Eleanor's quilt (sewed on the binding).  Now I am finishing it by hand.  I'll be sure to take a photo of the final results, preferably with Eleanor lying on it!   We all went to church on Sunday morning, and Eleanor was dedicated to the Lord.


Then we went out to breakfast with Tim's folks, his Uncle, and his brother and sister-in-law.  Aaron appreciated his hot chocolate, thank you very much!

I had a special treat on Monday.  I connected with a friend from years and years ago thanks to Facebook (and a mutual friend).  She happens to live in the same town as my daughter, just a few blocks away!  We spent the morning talking and doing some major catching up. She is almost related to me, because my cousin John used to be her uncle when he was married to her Aunt Grace!   When she came over to Rebecca's house to pick me up, several ladies were cleaning the house.  One of the ladies, an African refugee, recognized her voice and called out to her!  The lady had lived with her (she has housed over 60 refugees in her home) and they were very surprised to see each other in a "strangers" home!  Small world!  I did a project while I was at her house....snow dying!  Yikes!  Yes, you use snow on top of your fabric, and sprinkle the dye on it.  I will wash it out tomorrow and see how it turns out.  (It was about 10 degrees when I was out there doing this project!  Thank goodness it didn't take too long).



She is really taller than me by quite a bit, but I'm standing on a step!  Anyhow, we had a good time together.

I have put a whole bunch of photos in my February 2014 album.  I might even put a few captions on eventually!  Lots of SNOW pictures, and KID pictures.  If Ben has taken any photos this week, I'd be surprised!

Until next week, your friend in frigid Illinois, and your warm friends in Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam  Zoey

No comments:

Post a Comment