Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pic-of-the-Week for March 10, 2015

Hola Amigos,

Are you getting used to your time change?  Those of you on the US West Coast are now the same time as us here in Baja California Sur.  We don't change until April 5, Easter Sunday.  We always get up extra early on Easter Sunday to set up and have our Easter Service on the beach, with the service ending at sunrise.  I can see a nap in my future on that day!

I was invited to go with friends on a garden tour last week.  Buena Fortuna gardens in La Ribera was started in the late 90's by a botanist.  They had big plans and lots of room, and started planting plants from around the world that he thought would grow in this area.  He had great success with many of them, and there are many exotic plants there.  Unfortunately, he contracted meningitis (I think that's what it was), and has since moved to Hawaii.  His wife (ex-wife?) is now running the garden, but it is for sale if anyone is interested.  Lots of work involved there, and they have many volunteers to help (usually young university types...horticulture students or botanists, probably).  

This is a Hibiscus flower.





Black bamboo.  Kitsia(sp) is the owner and tour guide.


Many different kinds of Aloe, which is blooming right now.  

I have posted more photos from the gardens in our March 2015 Picasa album.

Here on the home front, Ben has finished the cabinets and will be installing them manana.  He also spent a lot of time yesterday picking up his screw collection that he managed to strew all over his shop floor.  When pulling out his drill press, he didn't realize that it had a cord hooked to it that ran behind his screw and bolt cabinets, and they all fell over!!!  Ay ay ay!  What a mess.  Only one of them broke, and he managed to find most of the screws, but there was a lot of sorting to do! 























For my "hobbies", I've had some fun making some quilted table runners.  They are a lot smaller than quilts, and can be finished quickly.  I put one together yesterday in about 2 hours, maybe a little less.  Of course, I still need to quilt it and put on the binding, but I did manage to get the "guts" together!  (Now I need to remember to buy some batting when I visit the US this summer!) 

Here's the one I made a few weeks ago.


I'm not going to tell you how long I've had some of this fabric!  But I did buy the orange print with this kind of thing in mind, and last summer I found a book with lots of patterns, so I'm a happy quilter!

In the garden, the beans are ready to start picking (yay!) and the corn needs some re-planting.  Looks like we've either had a cat in the rows adding some fertilizer, or dogs digging up a few extra smelly areas.  And, some of it just didn't come up.  I do have more seed, so will be doing that today. 

We had a beautiful full moon the other night.

 
 And the Agave plant is still getting taller.  The top is still forming buds, so it has some more growing to do, and the lower branches are getting ready to bloom.  In this photo you can see it across the garden.



Sam and Zoey and I still go down to the beach on occasion, and when we went the other day the tide was very low.  Lots of rocks were seen that we don't normally see.  We're having less windy days, but still enough to keep the wind surfers and kite-boarders happy.  

 
I started with a Hibiscus, and I'm going to end with a Hibiscus.  This one is in our garden. 

 
Hasta la proxima semana,
Tus amigos en Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey



No comments:

Post a Comment