Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pic-of-the-Week for March 17, 2015

Hola Amigos!

Happy St. Patrick's Day.  I'll have to find something green for the first photo!  



AHA!  How's this?  My green beans are producing nicely now!  Ryan's contribution of compost from his juicing operations is helping a lot!  We did a bit of an experiment...I used Ryan's compost in half the row, and a bag I got from a local farmer in the other half.  Ryan's seems to be doing better, and it has less weeds.  We are getting tomatoes and papayas sprouting on that half of the row, however!!  

The corn is also coming along better since I replanted and put a screen over the area the cat was using.  I've also strung a new soaker hose through there, so it is getting plenty of water.  We just might have corn by May!  I'll keep you posted. 

We're getting extra water this year from the plentiful rains.  I think we've had more winter rains this year than any time since we moved here in 2000.  Maybe the jet stream changed a bit and the rain clouds are going over the tip of Baja instead of further south.  There was a very impressive looking storm that moved through late yesterday afternoon.  Here's a panorama shot I took standing in the empty lot next to our house, looking from the east where there is blue sky, to the west, where the storm clouds are rumbling in! 



 Of course, the desert can always use more rain, and the ranchers love it; they don't have to buy so much hay for their animals.  

Speaking of animals, Sam and Zoey met the newest baby burro the other day.



They did fine until one of them barked, and started chasing it.  Baby had the right reaction....run to Mama!!  (Mama and aunties and older brother ignored the dogs!) 

Ben got the kitchen cabinets installed last week at our friends little house in El Campamento.  She is SO happy!  She told us her friends are asking for the "carpenter's" phone number so they can order just exactly the same thing!  Ben told her to tell them he's now retired!  

She said she's short, so she'll need a stool to reach those top shelves, but she is very pleased!  And.... her little boy can't get to it (yet!)  She said he often pulls stuff out of the bottom shelves below the counter top, as there are no doors. (Typical 2-year old actions!)   

  
I'm busy this week getting ready for our church's Ladies Spring Conference this weekend.  A friend decided I should head it up and be the Mistress of Ceremonies. OK... I was a project manager and a Toast Master in a past life, so I can, with God's help, get this done!  I'm offering this newest table runner I finished making yesterday for a prize item.  It was fun to make!  (Same one as was pictured last week, but finished with the binding.) 


When I looked out my bedroom window this morning, I was greeted with a beautiful view, so I'm sharing it with you today.  I could happily wake up to this view every day!! 

 
 More photos are posted in our 2015 March Picasa Album.  

Hasta la proxima semana,
Tus amigos de Baja,
Harriet, Ben, Ryan, Sam & Zoey
 





No comments:

Post a Comment